PRESQUE ISLE, Maine (WAGM) — As the major winter storm approaches Emera Maine’s Storm Response Team has rallied to ensure the utility is prepared for whatever Mother Nature sends our way that may cause power outages. The storm is expected to impact Emera Maine’s service territory Tuesday and into Wednesday.
Advance preparations include ensuring appropriate staffing levels both in the field and in the Customer Contact Center, fueling up trucks, snow sleds and ATV’s, stocking up on storm kits and other supplies for field crews, and more.
“We’re hopeful the precipitation is similar to last month’s big storm that brought a light, fluffy snow, which blows off the lines and tree branches,” said Kevin Peterson, Storm Manager and Manager of Customer Contact Center Operations. “Our biggest concern at this stage is the anticipated wind gusts Downeast which could bring trees and limbs down onto power lines, so we’ll be watching that very closely.”
The Storm Response Team will continue to monitor the storm’s track and modify staffing plans as needed.
Customers can do their part by planning ahead as well; helpful tips on how to prepare for a power outage are available on our website at www.emeramaine.com, then click on “Outages & Restoration” and “Be Prepared”.
As always, customers are reminded to be mindful of the following safety hazards:
* NEVER touch a downed power line or a tree in contact with one. In recent storms there were reports of customers moving lines out of the way and driving over the top of them. This should never be attempted under any circumstance;
* The public is urged to slow down or move over and change lanes, when possible, if approaching utility crews working on roadways, to ensure everyone's safety.
* Anyone using alternate heat sources and generators is reminded to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines at all times;
* Always be sure generators and space heaters are well ventilated;
* Generators should be professionally installed to ensure they do not back-feed into the electrical system putting both the public and our employees at risk.
Customers can get the latest outage information and view our live outage and restoration map at emeramaine.com. Outages can be reported online or by calling our Customer Contact Center at 1-855-EMERA-11 (1-855-363-7211) or 207-973-2000.