Naturally Sweetened Cranberry Sauce
Naturally, Sweetened Cranberry Sauce
This naturally sweetened, healthier cranberry sauce recipe is made simply
with fresh cranberries, honey or maple syrup and orange zest! It's easy to
make and tastes amazing, too. Feel free to make it the day ahead, chill it
overnight and let it warm to room temperature before serving. Recipe yields
about 2 cups cranberry sauce.
Author: Cookie and Kate
Recipe type: Condiment
Serves: 2 cups
• One 12-ounce bag offresh cranberries
• Y2 cup honey or maple syrup
• Y2 cup water
• Zest of 1 medium orange, preferably organic (about 1 teaspoon)
• Optional add-ins: Y2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and/or % cup fresh orange juice
1. First, rinse the cranberries well and drain off excess water. Pick through the cranberries and discard any squishy
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, honey and water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high
heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have popped and the
mixture has thickened to your liking, about 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove the pot from heat and stir in the orange zest. If you'd like to add cinnamon or orange juice, add it now.
Taste and, if the mixture is too tart (keeping in mind that cranberry sauce is supposed to be a little tart!), add more
orange juice, honey or maple syrup to taste.
You could definitely make this
sauce the day before. It keeps well, refrigerated, for up to a few weeks! I like to swirl leftover sauce into yogurt with
granola or oatmeal. Basically, just treat it like jam.
Make it vegan: Use maple syrup instead of honey.
Recipe source: http://cookiea nd kate .com/20 15/natu rally-sweetened-cranberry-sau ce-reci pel