Family still searching for answers 25 years after disappearance

CARIBOU, Maine - "I hope that before my time comes, something does come up and says this is what we found, this is your daughters bones, where do you want them buried?"

Friends and family members gathered at Spruce Haven grounds in Caribou on Saturday to commemorate the life of Virginia Pictou, who went missing nearly 25 years ago.

It's a case that's still hasn't been solved.

"We're hoping somebody comes forward and speaks up for her, so that we can close on this case," said Francis Pictou, Virginia's older brother.

The 26-year-old mother of seven vanished around 1 a.m. on April 24th, 1993. Reports claim she left a Bangor hospital after allegedly being beaten by her husband and another man. There was a reported sighting of her later that morning at the truck stop in Houlton. That was the last time she was seen alive.

"I know they say time heals everything, it don't," said Virginia's father, Robert Pictou. "Take it from me, 25 years. You know you should have some kind of healing, but 25 years when that subject comes up, it's like somebody took a knife and stabbed me in the heart."

Pictou's older sister Agnes says they performed what they call a "letting go" ceremony, one that's usually only performed for the missing and murdered. "Simple things matter a great deal if we can share our wonderful memories of Virginia, you will know more about Virginia Sue Pictou than saying this is statistic number this is cold case whatever."

The ceremony was not only a way to honor Pictou, but to help keep her memory alive, especially for her children.

"I don't really remember my mom, pretty much my whole life I grew up not knowing who she is, just hearing all these amazing stories about her."

"I keep her in my heart I don't let her go my kids know her, it's going to be solved one day and I'm ready for the day to come."

Despite everything, Pictou's family hasn't given up on finding her.

"She's not a statistic she had a life," said Agnes. "Let's talk about her life, and maybe if someone hears about some of this, maybe they will come forward and share some information they know of what happened April 24th, 1993."