5-Year-Old Starts Augusta Fire

By  | 

AUGUSTA, ME. (WAGM) Augusta Fire Department and the State Fire Marshal’s Office says Monday’s fire at an Augusta apartment house on Mt. Vernon Ave was caused by a five-year-old playing with either matches or a lighter. The fire started in the first floor apartment and quickly spread to the rest of the building, leaving six homeless. No one was injured.

The structure has been deemed a complete loss to the building and its contents. The three families have been displaced and assistance has been provided to those families by the Red Cross. Steps are also under way to demolish the structure as the building sits adjacent to the road. The Augusta Fire Department reminds parents of the importance of proper care of lighters and matches by keeping them out of reach of children to stop such tragic events.

The fire department will assist in counseling services to the family to help the child through this event and provide education on fire safety.