Maine lawmaker injured in accidental fire

Wintrop, ME-- The State Fire Marshal's Office says a state representative from Winthrop was seriously burned yesterday attempting to start a brush pile fire on his property. Fire Investigators say Craig Hickman was using gasoline to start the fire when gas vapors caught his clothing on fire. Hickman was burned on his legs and chest and was first taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston by ambulance, and later flown by the Lifeflight helicopter to Maine Medical in Portland.

The fire took place behind Hickman's home on Annabessacook Road.

Fire investigators, aided by Maine Forest Rangers, say Hickman poured a small amount of gasoline on the brush pile and then lit a cardboard egg carton and placed it on the pile. That is when the vapors from the gasoline exploded.