Part 2 of our year in review. Taking a look at local news last year from July through December

On the second day of July in 2018, the first flights by United Airlines took off from the Northern Maine Regional Airport in Presque Isle...United was awarded the contract after PenAir's contract ran out. So instead of Boston, flights from the Star City now land in Newark New Jersey. Later that month- the award for the world's largest ice carousel arrived in Sinclair.

In August, a groundbreaking ceremony was held to mark the beginning of construction of Caribou's new K-8 school. Tragedy struck Fredericton as a gunman shot and killed four people, including two police officers, one male and one female. Brett Bramble finished his more than 2500 mile trek from Key West Florida to Fort Kent - for overdose awareness.

Another sort of trek happened in September...BikeMaine. Hundreds of bicyclists completed a journey of more than 300 miles, touring central and northern Aroostook County. That same month, Amon Kelleter was charged with first degree murder in the death of Destiny Anderson. That took place in Jacksonville, just outside Woodstock.

In October, the Northern Maine Fair organizers requested date change for their summer fair, which sparked controversy because the dates requested, June 28th through July 6th, conflicted with the Houlton Agricultural Fair which runs July 4th through 7th. The Department of Agriculture denied the request, but then approved an updated request with the dates of June 28th to July 3rd.

November's election brought a new governor to the state, Janet Mills, a new sheriff to Aroostook County, Shawn Gillen, and a new representative to congress for district 2, Jared Golden. Marcus Asante was found found guilty in the murder of Douglas Morin Jr. of Oakfield. During this month we also shared with you the touching story of Mike Daigle getting a new kidney from family friend Marisa Clark.

Finally in December, Bailey and Damien Roy appeared in Woodstock court together after being arrested and charged after refusing to communicate with law enforcement while being parked between the Woodstock and Houlton border stations. Shoppers hustled and lights dazzled for another Christmas season. And The Central Aroostook Chamber of Commerce named a new executive director. LaNiece Sirois will assume the position next week.