Windham Mill Fire Caused by Candle

By  | 

WINDHAM, Maine (WAGM) ---The State Fire Marshal's Office say an early morning fire that badly damaged on old mill in Windham today was started by a candle and have determined that the fire was accidental. Investigators talked to Joseph Smith who was moving his belongings out of the building last night. Smith and his family had lived for a short time on the third floor of the building and was in the process of moving out. Because the building's power was cut off yesterday, he was using candles last night to see inside. Fire investigators say the fire started in a stairway between the second and third floors. Smith discovered the fire and called the fire department, just after midnight this morning.